Re: Trace Route Question (fwd)

Scott A. Lagos (slagos@net1plus.com)
Thu, 07 Nov 1996 06:40:02 -0500

The problem described below is because there is not a reverse entry in the
ARPA/reverse file for that first 206.129.67.11 address. What traceroute
tries to do is do a reverse lookup on the IP address so that it can display
the name. (Notice how all other hops start with the name and not the IP).
Traceroute tries to do the reverse lookup for about 5 times then if it cant
do the resolve it gives up. The problem is not with the router! There is
a command line option for traceroute which turns off the reverse lookup
feature. Enable that and you will see that all is fine. Or you could put
an entry in the reverse file for that address and all will be fine.