Re: dropped connections after 120 secs or so

Curtis Coleman (curtis@pangea.ca)
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 12:59:26 -0600 (CST)

This problem is famous, and has absolutely nothing to do with the
Portmaster. USR Sportster 28.8K modems with a supervisor ROM dated before
04/18/95 suffer from a problem that I seem to remember being called "the
circular death syndrome". The dead giveaway that this is the problem is,
as you said, that if they last more than 5 minutes, they'll last forever.

Last I recall, USR will ship a newer revision for free if you have the old
buggy ROM. Use ATI7 to check the ROM date, get the serial number off the
modem, and 1-800-DIAL-USR.

Curtis

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996, Bruce Bauman wrote:

> We are a small ISP running Portmaster 2E-30s with radius authentication.
> We are running ComOS 3.3.2c1 on our Portmaster, and FreeBSD 2.1.5 on
> our radius server. We are using USR Sportsters (28.8) of both the "new"
> and "old" varieties. We have radius accounting enabled.
>
> We have a lot of customers who complain that they frequently get
> disconnected within the first couple of minutes of being
> connected. If the connection lasts 5 minutes, it will last forever,
> but frequently the customer will be disconnected several times
> during the first 5 minutes. The problem doesn't seem tied to any
> particular set of modems on my end.
>
> Where should we look for problems? The fact that the customer can
> eventually connect reliably suggests to me that the problem is on
> my end, but I'm not sure if it's our modems or our portmaster or
> our radius server that causes the problem?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks much.
>
> -- Bruce Bauman
> Mosquito Net, Inc.

"There is an exception to every - Curtis Coleman, - (204) 985-9025
rule, except this one." . - Telenetworkputerologist - Pangea.CA Inc.