Re: UUCP question

Per Hedeland (per@erix.ericsson.se)
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 12:46:17 +0100 (MET)

John G. Thompson writes:
>I'm unclear about the architecture of the "uucp deamon" on port 540. If
>it is modified uucico program that listens to 540, accepts a connection
>and then spawn a sub process, yes this would be the most efficient
>configuration for the reasons you point out above.
>
>If, howver, the uucp deamon is a proces that binds the 540 port and
>allows a standard uucico process to work, then it will probably be close
>to the efficiency of any of the above. In which case it probably a
>choice made on what the user is more comfortable using, more than
>anything else.

Actually (at least on SunOS 4, and I believe this is typical) it's not
really either of the above. It is a separate program that is run via
inetd - inetd binds and listens to 540, accepts connections, and for
each connection spawns a subprocess that runs uucpd, which does
authentication and if successful exec's the standard uucico (with
stdin/out still connected to the socket from inetd).

I suppose that in your second case you're assuming that the daemon runs
uucico via a pseudo-tty, but this is not the case.

--Per Hedeland
per@erix.ericsson.se