Re: PM3 questions

Marty Likier (marty@livingston.com)
Mon, 04 Nov 1996 07:52:33 -0800

At 06:28 PM 11/3/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi, I was wondering if anyone here could answer a question about the
>PM3's, please CC it directly to me.
>
>I was wondering if instead of getting a 2 PRI base chassis + six 8-port
>modem cards I could get five 10-port modem cards to make it 50 (2 spares)
>and have them function like spares. Such as.. If a modem goes bad it
>could start using one of the two extra ones until the bad card could be
>replaced. Is this worth doing? Would it work so you don't have to busy
>out the bad modem's line?

Yes. If you install five 10-port cards, in the 2 T1/PRI chassis, you would
in effect have 2 hot standby modem spares. In the event that you manually
busy-out a modem, or if the PM3 detects a failed DSP, the hot spares become
active without any configuration. In the unlikely event of a failed modem
;), the modem cards are hot-swappable.

>Also, the PM3 can take 2 channelized voice t1's or 2 PRI's by just
>configuring it differently right? Will the first PM3's that are shipping
>handle Channelized T1's?

Today the PM3 supports channelized T1/E1 for WAN routing over synchronous
fractional lease lines and frame relay circuits. Channelized dial-in and
dial-out over T1/E1 will be supported in a future FREE upgrade release of
the ComOS.

>Any idea on when the PM3's will be shipping? (If they aren't already)

They are still in BETA, looking real good though. :)
--Marty
Marty Likier Livingston Worldwide Headquarters
Product Marketing Mgr. 6920 Koll Center Pkwy #220
(800) 458-9966 Pleasanton, CA 94566 USA
(510) 485-6794 (510) 244-1903 (FAX)
marty@livingston.com Web: www.livingston.com