Re: IRX not responding to all packets.

John G. Thompson (jgt10@livingston.com)
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 22:54:12 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Arnaud Girsch wrote:

> I have a strange "problem" there ...
> My config is something like that :
> LAN 'C'
> LAN 'A' -----+---------------
> -----------+-- |
> | [R2 ISDN]
> [R0 whatever] /
> \ /\/(ISDN)
> \/\(T1) /
> \ /
> [IRX ComOS 3.2R] [R1 ISDN]
> | |
> ---+-----------------------+-----
> LAN 'B'
>
> I don't think R1, and R2 brand is important for that problem ....

Make and model of R0, R1 and R2 is always helpful. There are sometimes
oddities with various routers.

> . the IRX has a route default to R0, and a route /24 to 'B'

Does the IRX have a static route to 'C' with the /26 netmask entered into
the netmask table? 'add netm 'C' 255.255.255.224'

> . R1 proxy ARP for 'C' hosts and has a default route to IRX and a /26 to R2

Proxy ARP for 'C' hosts??? dounds like R1 and R2 are bridging 'C' into
the 'B' network. If R1 and R2 are routers, then I don't understand why
R1 is doing proxy arp for 'C'. It might help if you gave the actual IP
addresses.

> . R2 has a default route to R1, and a /26 to 'C'

Is 'C' a subnet of 'B'?

> >From any host on 'C', I can have TCP, UDP, antyhing to 'A', 'B' hosts.
> >From any host on 'C', I can ping the IRX, and even telnet to it.
> But ... from any host on 'C', I can't traceroute to the IRX. The UDP packets
> are sent correctly, but I got no answer.
> I can traceroute any host on 'A', I will have answers for all routers except
> from the IRX ("* * *" display)

You might want to read chaper 19 of the Config Guide where it talks about
packet trace filters. You could setup a filter to show you the UDP
traffic from 'C' to see what is getting to the IRX.

Command> add fil t
Command> set fil t 1 permit 'C'/26 'IRX IP'/32 udp
Command> set con
Command> pt t

Now traceroute from various host on C, R2 and R1.

Turn off as follows...

Command> pt

> Any explication for that ? The IRX doesn't like proxy ARPs ? well .. it can
> connect from a 'C' host ...
> Thanks for any clue :-)

The IRX doesn't 'know' about proxy arps. You can do a 'sho arp ether0'
to see the arp table for the ether0 port and network interface. For the
IPs from 'C' you should see the same MAC address as the router R1 (which
I would guess is an Ascend pipline or an Adtrans ISDN box of some sort).

If the above is really causing you some problems call in and open a case
so that someone can take a good look at your situation.

HTH

JGT

--
John G. Thompson      Livingston Enterprises Inc.    Phone: (800) 458-9966
JOAT(MON)             6920-220 Koll Centre Pkwy.       Fax: (510) 426-8951