Re: radius seems to go brain dead when route to net goes down

Michael Dillon (michael@memra.com)
Sat, 25 Nov 1995 23:08:43 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 25 Nov 1995, Steve Haynes wrote:

> When the T to the net goes down dialin users CAN NOT GET LOGGED IN. Radius
> seems very slow and comes back with invalid login. This will continue as
> long as the T is down.

Sounds like a DNS problem. Either your Portmaster or RADIUS is probably
going out the T1 to resolve reverse DNS for the connection. Certainly,
the Linux machine will take a long time (3 minutes) to accept a telnet
session when it can't do reverse IP.

> When we try manual login via the modem/PM we can't
> get in ourselves. I don't know for sure if its EVEN getting to the
> /etc/raddb/users file

Most Linux boxes have gettys running on the first 6 console screens and
use the seventh for X Windows. So you can use number 8 to monitor
radiusd. Change the radiusd startup as follows:

/etc/radiusd -x >/dev/tty8 2>&1

And then you can do Alt-F8 to monitor activity. This will tell you if the
RADIUS server is getting the queries and if it is acknowledging them.

Michael Dillon Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc. Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com E-mail: michael@memra.com