"Several Hundred RIP Routes"

Curt Sampson (curt@portal.ca)
Fri, 24 Nov 1995 09:22:13 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> > >I hear that performance drops severaly on the PM2eR when they are filled
> > >with several hundred RIP routes. I've only heard this from one person, but
> > >the numbers were down in the 100's of Kbps area.
> >
> > Anyone confirm or deny this?
>
> I got an answer: Who cares?
>
> If your network is configured with 'several hundred rip routes', you
> should be more concerned on how inefficient your network is and not the
> PM's abailty to store routes.

I'd be interested to know what, besides a complete lack of networking
knowledge, makes you believe that a network with several hundred
routes distributed via RIP is inefficient.

There is no reason for a network with "several hundred RIP routes"
to be inefficient. I've worked on quite large (50-60 sites world-wide,
hundreds of networks) internetworks that used RIP for routing, and
worked just fine. And the ciscos we used had no trouble with such
large routing tables, probably because they tiny in comparison to
your average Internet border router.

In many networks like this, it would be nice to switch to OSPF.
However, many vendors (such as Livingston, Telebit, Ascend, etc.)
don't support OSPF, making migration just a bit of a hassle.

If Livingston wants to sell to large companies with large networks,
as well as small companies, using a fast algorithm for routing
table lookups so the machine can deal with hundreds of routes is
only sensible.

cjs

Curt Sampson curt@portal.ca Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.
Vancouver, BC (604) 257-9400 De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.