Re: Routing -- this will work, won't it??

Dave Siegel (dsiegel@rtd.com)
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 21:26:09 -0700 (MST)

> > Baloney...you don't need that kind of hardware. Try Popping a 16MB SIMM into
> > your 2501 (be careful which brand...cheaper models don't work).
>
> > Regardless, it's not difficult to dual-home out of a Cisco 2501 w/16MB.
>
> Don't you mean 20 mb? I thought that the 2501's come with 4mbs

*shrug* I've always ordered my Cisco's with 16 Meg...they've always
registered 16MB in total RAM. I suspect that the standard 4MB is on a SIMM
you have to remove, since there is only one SIMM slot in the 2501 series.

> > btw, this isn't really a livingston question at all.
>
> true, is there a cisco mailing list?

I don't believe so, but there is comp.dcom.sys.cisco.

> Also, this will be soon when livingston goes BGP.

I suppose so. I'm anxious to see what their implementation looks like. BGP
configurations can get quite complex.

> Also why is livingston going to go, OSPF, i am
> correct, before they go BGP? Isn't the rest of the Internet going to go BGP?

OSPF is an IGP, BGP is an EGP...you're comparing apples and oranges.

A classless IGP is sorely needed over the RIPv1 (classful) implementation they
have now, not to mention OSPF has a very nice convergence time on routing
updates.

When Livingston implements OSPF, I can turn over my Unix boxes to full bore
gated running OSPF, and shut down RIP on my Cisco router...and let me tell you
how nice that's going to be...

Dave

--
Dave Siegel		     President, RTD Systems & Networking, Inc.
(520)623-9663		     Network Engineer -- Regional/National NSPs (Cisco)