Re: PM2ER async port problem

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Sun, 19 Nov 1995 07:53:59 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 19 Nov 1995, Colin O'Brien wrote:

[snip]

> We finally reflashed them all, and suddenly
> they're all working again except one. Well it seems the non-working line is
> not a modem problem but a port problem, as switching the modems around still
> shows the problem on the same port: users can connect, they get the message
> and login prompt but they can't type a single character, they eventually hang
> up... we tried changing the cable but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Hook up a breakout box with indicators between the port and the modem and
verify that the CD line is being asserted on connect (and only on
connect). If it looks the same as the working ones then you've probably
indeed got a bad port. Look for the obvious bent pins on RS-232 cables.

> Another problem we have is one of our users, up until this problem he was
> using trumpet winsock to dial in on a PPP connection. Now, he connects; logs
> on, enters his password, the PPP negotation starts (he sees the PPP message
> and the 'garbage') then the connection hangs up. It happens wether he uses a
> script or logs in manually. He says he hasn't changed a single thing in his
> setup. I can't figure this one out, I checked with him: he doesn't have PAP
> enabled; he also doesn't have that FIFO=1 statement in his system.ini that
> seems to bother some winsock setups, his MTU is 576 and he's tried other
> values.. any ideas on this one?

Not a clue. Have you verified that he doesn't have another winsock.dll
lurking on his system?

----
WestNet: Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.
805-892-2133 805-289-1000