ISPs - What modems are you having the best luck with PMs

Cor Bosman (cor@xs4all.net)
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 19:48:02 +0100

> Cor Bosman wrote:
> We're also having a lot of problems with the MP16 racks. Almost enough
> to give up on them. The USR quad racks work great, although a bit
> expensive. Anyone know if USR has given any comments on the instability
> of the MP16 racks?
>

> Cor,
>
> this summer USR put the MP/16 on production hold for a couple weeks
> to rectify some problems which were not seen during beta testing.
> (Usually only appear after a couple weeks of operation and only at
> a few sites while most others are happy. I suspect, but have no

Indeed, we have seen this happen after several weeks of operation.
It could be heat related, although our NOC isnt hot at all. One
of our POPS is a bit, and 1 MP16 died there, while 3 others died at
the NOC.

> hard evidence, that it's heat related). The majority of users keep
> increasing their order size at present, indicating satisfactory
> results (compared to other V.34 racks).

Id love to increase my order size too :)

> There are also user reports about the USR Quad cards which indicate
> some caution is advised (as generally with any hardware product, in
> particular if production volumes are running at top speeds for
> months and months to feed an incredibly large demand).
>
> It's really a non trivial task to produce good quality V.34 modems!

Fine, then why sell them as such? :)

> I would like to thank those users who understand this (probably
> much better than I do) and work with the manufacturers to solve
> problems if they occur.

We've been working with 1 manufacturer for 6 months while trying to
debug _their_ modems. We were never told we were beta testers.
And they kept blaming our equipment (The portmasters for instance).
In the end we spent 2 full days debugging them, and found out internal
signal problems made all their uneven rackpositions flaky.
We should have sent a bill for consultancy. I really wouldnt enjoy
going through this again with USR, a brand which for me stands for
stability. You damn well pay for it.

Cor