Re: Portmaster and the Mac

Herb Weiner (herbw@wiskit.com)
Thu, 16 Nov 95 20:50:34 PST

MMS Administators <listmgr@massmed.org> writes:

> I am having a brutal time with Macs connecting my server
> properly... I think this is a Portmaster configuration
> issue, but I am new to the ISP business and I could be wrong. The only
> way I have ever had any success has been when the async map on the _Mac_
> has been changed (i.e., the settings expected by server and client are
> reversed between the two). There has to be an easier way!!! What can I
> change on the Portmaster itself.

1. There are (at least) two different kinds of Mac Modem cables.
Be SURE that your Mac users are using a HARDWARE HANDSHAKE cable.
And be SURE they configure the modem for hardware handshaking.
Since there aren't enough pins for both hardware handshaking and
modem control, be sure that the Modem on the Mac end is configured
to ignore DTR.

2. Set the Subnet Mask on the Mac to 255.255.255.255.

3. Should not need to do anything special on the PortMaster end.

Herb