ISPs - What modems are you having the best luck with PMs

Cor Bosman (cor@xs4all.net)
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 02:52:23 +0100

> Dick St.Peters sez
> >
> > Ian McLaughlin writes:
> > >
> > > I'll second that oppinion. We've been using US Robotics Couriers from
> > > Day 1. They are a little bit more expensive, but it's funny you never
> > > see questions in the mailing lists about "How do I remotely reset my
> > > Courier" or "What init string do I use for my courier"... They just
> > > work. At the POP I look after, we have 25 Couriers, and in 12 months, I
> > > have only ever found one modem that had locked up - just had to switch it
> > > off and on again.
> >
> > After using Sportsters at my base POP (in my home) for my first year,
> > I went with Couriers (MP/8 & MP/16 racks) for my remote POPs, and I
> > upgraded my base POP also.
> >
> > I have yet to have one of the Courier racks last more than three weeks
> > without losing modems. Just a couple hours ago I got back from
> > retrieving an MP/8 from a small remote POP to serve as a standin for
> > half an MP/16 while the /16 goes back for repair after losing half its
> > modems - one of its two banks of 8. When that /16 comes back, the /8
> > goes to another POP to stand in for another /16 that has lost two
> > modems - one modem in each of the 8-modem banks. When that /16 comes
> > back, the /8 itself goes in for repair of one modem that doesn't pass
> > self-test after a power cycle about half the time.
> >
> > The Couriers are superb modems when they work, but it's the Sportsters
> > that I've never had a bit of trouble with.
> >

> The standalone Couriers are great. Even the Total Control dual V.34 modems
> are good. I have also been having many problems with the MP16's I have. I'm
> not buying any more of them. I got them because of price, and the ability to
> mount them in a rack, but the reliability of these things leaves MUCH to be
> desired.

We're also having a lot of problems with the MP16 racks. Almost enough
to give up on them. The USR quad racks work great, although a bit
expensive. Anyone know if USR has given any comments on the instability
of the MP16 racks?

Cor