Re: ISPs - What modems are you having the best luck with PMs

Dick St.Peters (stpeters@netheaven.com)
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 20:47:19 -0500

Ian McLaughlin writes:
> On Sun, 12 Nov 1995, Phil Jensen - News Administrator wrote:
> > Welp, we're using about 120 USR Courier 33.6's. They are lovely, and the
> > added cost makes up for it in both compatability and quality. :)
>
> I'll second that oppinion. We've been using US Robotics Couriers from
> Day 1. They are a little bit more expensive, but it's funny you never
> see questions in the mailing lists about "How do I remotely reset my
> Courier" or "What init string do I use for my courier"... They just
> work. At the POP I look after, we have 25 Couriers, and in 12 months, I
> have only ever found one modem that had locked up - just had to switch it
> off and on again.

After using Sportsters at my base POP (in my home) for my first year,
I went with Couriers (MP/8 & MP/16 racks) for my remote POPs, and I
upgraded my base POP also.

I have yet to have one of the Courier racks last more than three weeks
without losing modems. Just a couple hours ago I got back from
retrieving an MP/8 from a small remote POP to serve as a standin for
half an MP/16 while the /16 goes back for repair after losing half its
modems - one of its two banks of 8. When that /16 comes back, the /8
goes to another POP to stand in for another /16 that has lost two
modems - one modem in each of the 8-modem banks. When that /16 comes
back, the /8 itself goes in for repair of one modem that doesn't pass
self-test after a power cycle about half the time.

The Couriers are superb modems when they work, but it's the Sportsters
that I've never had a bit of trouble with.

--
Dick St.Peters,         Gatekeeper, Pearly Gateway, Ballston Spa, NY
stpeters@NetHeaven.com  Owner/operator, NetHeaven 518-885-1295/1-800-910-6671