Re: Bad Modem, Busy Signals, and Hunt groups

Randy Moore (ramoore@atlantech.net)
Fri, 10 Nov 1995 10:34:39 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, His Royal Majesty wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Jeffery J. Hayward wrote:
>
> > When a modem goes bad, or one of our Livingston Portmasters :) is offline
> > and we need to busy a line, what do we use, and where can we buy them?
> > (Would an Appletalk "terminator" work for instance?). If they can not be
> > purchased is there a way to make such an item? (I'm interested in
> > busying lines so that the rest of the hunt group is not affected).
> >
> The best (and cheapest) method is to get a few of those spare phone cords
> that they ship with all the modems, cut one in half and twist the red and
> green together. This is ok, but after a couple of months the telco you
> use might call you to tell you about the short.

If you don't want a call from your telco. Use a 1000 Ohm resitor between
the red and green lines. You have just created and offical busy signal.

- Randy Moore
Atlantech Online, Inc.