Re: Bad Modem, Busy Signals, and Hunt groups

His Royal Majesty (root@jeffnet.org)
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 17:44:26 -0800

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Jeffery J. Hayward wrote:

> When a modem goes bad, or one of our Livingston Portmasters :) is offline
> and we need to busy a line, what do we use, and where can we buy them?
> (Would an Appletalk "terminator" work for instance?). If they can not be
> purchased is there a way to make such an item? (I'm interested in
> busying lines so that the rest of the hunt group is not affected).

The best (and cheapest) method is to get a few of those spare phone cords
that they ship with all the modems, cut one in half and twist the red and
green together. This is ok, but after a couple of months the telco you
use might call you to tell you about the short.

JEFFNET - A membership public access internet service provider, sponsored
by the Jefferson Public Radio Listeners Guild.
Business office: (503)552-6301 WWW - http://jeffnet.org/
Software Support: (503)488-2403 E-Mail - JPR@jeffnet.org
Hardware/Server: (503)734-3721 (24hrs)
The State Of Jefferson - We secede from the union every Thursday