Re: Spreadout PM's

Dick St.Peters (stpeters@netheaven.com)
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 20:41:45 -0500

Yoon W. Kim writes:
> Assumptions:
> 1 - Static IP addresses for PPP clients
> 2 - PM's are spread out over WAN (each LAN connected
> via routers over T1 links)
> 3 - PPP clients can dial into any one of the PM's
>
> Question:
> * How can you let the client's static IP address work
> from all PM's, which may be on different subnets from
> one another?

1) Set netmask 255.255.255.255 on the dialup network(s). The
portmasters will then send a RIP with a host route immediately
when the user connects.

Use ciscos for the WAN routers, and configure them to redistribute RIP
via EIGRP. Every router will know where the user is within a few (~5)
seconds of connection.

2) Wait for Livingston to do OSPF, and run OSPF on everything.

Redistributing the RIP routes among the ciscos in #1 works but not
fast enough; many users' routes don't get propagated in time to
prevent timeouts. I think this is due to the PMs not being
participants in OSPF so the dialups aren't seen as link-state changes
needing to be made known right off, but I'd really like to hear from
somebody who knows more about this than I do.

--
Dick St.Peters,         Gatekeeper, Pearly Gateway, Ballston Spa, NY
stpeters@NetHeaven.com  Owner/operator, NetHeaven 518-885-1295/1-800-910-6671