Re: Maybe someone could answer this,

David Carmean (dave@west.net)
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 10:57:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 21 Oct 1995, Matthew wrote:

> I've been looking through my logs and found several entries similar to this:
>
> Oct 21 09:06:11 <portmaster> dialnet: port S15 PPP succeeded dest
> Negotiated ip x 909090FF
>
> Any ideas about this one? I get this on several different ports, and
> it's just not seeming to make sense. There is no user called PPP.. I've
> also seen it in the Portmaster "logging on" occasionally. I'm confused :)

This is Windows95 trying to negotiate for IPX (Novell) over
PPP. The "PPP" seems to be an intermediate step in the login process;
if you "view ports" with PMConsole and refresh it often enough, you'll
see it pop up before the real username shows up. It might be related
to the LCP negotiations...I'm not sure. But don't worry about it.

David Carmean WB6YZM DC574 dave@west.net
System/Network Administrator, WestNet Communications, Inc.
PGP Key Fingerprint: CD 1C C1 15 3E E3 1D 41 ED C2 3E A8 D6 29 BD C4