Re: IRX with 2 class "C"

Charles Scott (cscott@freeway.net)
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 10:55:06 -0400 (EDT)

Mike:
I can't help you much with specifics on the IRX, but I don't believe
that a netmask of 255.255.255.128 is going to be valid. Since the first
and last subnets of a class C are reserved, you would have no useable
subnets.
If you use non-subnetted class C's on either side of the router, you
should use a netmask of 255.255.255.0 (unless there's something funny
about the IRX or your connections to it).
If you subnet the class C, you need to make sure that all subnets of
the class C are contiguous (not separated by another network number).
If you do subnet it, you need to determine how many addresses and
subnets you need. If you use a netmask of 255.255.255.192, you would
have 4 subnets, 2 of which are reserved. Each subnet would have 64
addresses of which the first and last are reserved netting you 62
addresses per subnet or 124 total addresses out of the 256 address class
C. Smaller subnets may net you more useable addresses if you need to be
more efficient.

Chuck Scott