Re: syslog

Allen J. Newton (anewton@basis.com)
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 09:05:16 -0600 (MDT)

Philip Hammersley wrote:
> Subject: syslog
>
> I don't get every activity written into syslog. This has happened since
> installing a second PortMaster at a remote location.

I thought I sent a similar message like this to the list last week, but
didn't see any answers.

My problem is that ports on the PM-2E (3.1.4) which are connected to
terminals (as opposed to modems) do not get logins/connections logged to
the syslog -- only disconnects.

Thus far, this is all I remember specifically being excluded, but others
monitoring the syslog have informed me that there are other PM activities
not being logged as well.

I need to go through the logs with a fine-toothed comb, but for now...

Does anyone have any idea why terminal logins are not being reported?

Oh, I remember now one other activity which is only sporadically reported:
Admin log_outs_.

Has anyone else seen this? Or do we have a defective PM-2E?

Thanks for any information...

Allen J. Newton     BASIS International Ltd,  (505)-345-5232
5901 Jefferson NE,  Albuquerque, New Mexico   87109
anewton@basis.com   Network Administrator     <*>