Re: your mail

Dick St.Peters (stpeters@netheaven.com)
Sun, 15 Oct 1995 17:02:57 -0400

Chris Woods writes:
> Looks to me like a healthy sync PPP connection. All the things *not* being
> negotiated are things like appletalk, banyan, IPX, OSI, XNS, DECnet, and
> the router is not a bridge (which is, I assume, what you want). IPCP and
> LCP are negotiated, and that is all that is needed. Although, that 56k
> looks pretty well saturated: load 236/255

That load's the point. That's with no users on the PM2ER.

> Is the link dead, are you not able to see one end from the other? Looks
> like the cisco says it's up, and by your message the PM think's
> everything's OK... I would say that if you have line protocol and carrier,
> and both ends show established, and you are still having reachability
> problems, I would look at the routing tables on either end, particularly
> in the Cisco.

I wasn't having reachability problems. Reachability was fine for me
and for users but the line was saturated with 'idle' load.

As further info, the line doesn't begin this way. Immediately after
the link comes up this idle load wssn't there. It built up over about
five minutes, with ping times on the line going from its normal ~40 ms
to hundreds of ms.

I moved this end of the line back to the old cisco, and it's working
fine. That still leaves me with a) the problem causing me to move the
line, and b) a worry about hanging more PM2ERs off cisco ports. The
latter is just what I am (was?) preparing to do.

--
Dick St.Peters,         Gatekeeper, Pearly Gateway, Ballston Spa, NY
stpeters@NetHeaven.com  Owner/operator, NetHeaven 518-885-1295/1-800-910-6671