Re: Filtering for PM-2e

Brian 'MegaZone' Bikowicz ((no email))
Sat, 14 Oct 1995 18:31:41 -0700

>From megazone Sat Oct 14 13:18:51 1995 remote from server
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 16:18:16 -0400
From: "Dick St.Peters" <stpeters@NetHeaven.com>
To: portmaster-users@livingston.com
Subject: Help with PM <--> cisco PPP
Sender: megazone

Remote PM2ER, ComOS 3.1.4, at the end of a 56k line. I just moved
this end of the line from an old cicso 2501 to a brand new 2514, and
the two systems are beating the line to death to death. from the
complaints (see below) by the cisco aout all sorts of thing not being
negotiated, it looks like this ferocious exchange of packets is an
attempt to complete PPP negotiation. This worked just fine with the
old cisco. The portmaster professes to be quite happy with things on
its end; here's the cisco output:

bs2#sh int ser 1
Serial1 is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is HD64570
Internet address is 198.69.28.33 255.255.255.252
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 56 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, rely 255/255, load 236/255
Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set, keepalive set (10 sec)
lcp state = OPEN
ncp ccp state = NOT NEGOTIATED ncp ipcp state = OPEN
ncp osicp state = NOT NEGOTIATED ncp ipxcp state = NOT NEGOTIATED
ncp xnscp state = NOT NEGOTIATED ncp vinescp state = NOT NEGOTIATED
ncp deccp state = NOT NEGOTIATED ncp bridgecp state = NOT NEGOTIATED
ncp atalkcp state = NOT NEGOTIATED ncp lex state = NOT NEGOTIATED
ncp cdp state = CLOSED

To rub salt in the wound, I can't contact the POP any other way than
via the 56k. Attempts to call the admin modem from here get me a
squeal and an "all circuits are busy" announcement.

--
Dick St.Peters,         Gatekeeper, Pearly Gateway, Ballston Spa, NY
stpeters@NetHeaven.com  Owner/operator, NetHeaven 518-885-1295/1-800-910-6671