Re: Windows NT Server v3.51 and PM2Er

Robert Boyle (robert@gate.garden.net)
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 21:53:22 -0400

At 06:22 PM 10/12/95 -0400, you wrote:
>I have just installed an NT server and would like to use our PM2Er as a
>dial-in front-end to Remote Access on the NT. Can it be done? Has anyone
>tried this yet?

Yes and it works _beautifully!_ However you must use TCP/IP (:D) or IPX
(:P) in order to be routeable. With TCP/IP, you cannot see the machines on
the other side of the PM unless you have the WINS service setup and running.
All that is neccesary is to have all machines on the network use the same
WINS server.

On the server:
1. Go into control panel
2. Double-Click on Network
3. In the Installed Network Software box, Select the TCP/IP Protocol
4. Click on Add Software
5. Select TCP/IP and related components
6. Click on Continue
7. Check WINS Server Service
8. Click on Continue
9. Now go back into Network
10. In the Installed Network Software box, Select the TCP/IP Protocol
11. Click on Configure
12. Enter the Server's IP address in the Primary WINS server box

On any machine dialing into the portmaster:
1. Install the TCP/IP Stack
2. Enter the same IP address as the server above.

*** If you are running a domain system, you need to check the Logon to
Windows NT domain box under network setup.

Be careful when you are connected to the Internet!!! Windows NT and all
Microsoft clients have VERY, VERY permissive shares. If aren't sure how to
tighten up security, don't connect an NT network to the Internet. Using WINS
makes it even easier to hack into your system. REMEMBER that FAT or HPFS
volumes offer NO security. DON'T share these volumes! This is just a general
reminder to those using NT.

Have fun!

-Robert
robert@garden.net
Garden Networks: northern New Jersey's premier Internet service provider
50 Diller Ave. Newton, NJ 07860 (201)300-9211
http://www.garden.net http://www.windows.net