Re: USR Sportster rack mount case?

System Administrator (admin@sierra.valleynet.com)
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 01:27:21 -0700 (PDT)

I'd definitely be interested if you could do a version for the Courier.

On Tue, 10 Oct 1995, Robert Boyle wrote:

> Hello! All of the modems that I am using are USR Sportster 28.8s I am sick
> and tired of putting them on a shelf where they look terrible and take up
> too much space. I decided that I was going to do something about this. I
> played with AutoCAD for a while and today I met with a manufacturer and went
> over my plans. The cost per box for just my units was astronomical for under
> 10 units. However, if enough people are interested in the project, I may
> have a production run of them made. The basic essentials are:
>
> 1. A central power supply for all modems in each rack (with removeable
> pigtails to keep everything neat)
> 2. 10-16 modems per 19 inch rack mount unit (maybe 20?)
> 3. Grey smoked plexiglass front cover with the modem number/indicator light
> legends silk screened in white
> 4. Easy modem addition/replacement Hot swappable!
> 5. High quality finish ("Livingston/USR quality" -no affiliation -btw)
> 6. Reasonable cost <$500 including everything.
>
> The Sportster modems would be removed from their existing white cases and
> simply slid into the rack mount chassis. I don't know how this would
> "officially" affect the warranty, but the modems would not be modified in
> any way. So, if one breaks, just put it back into the white plastic case and
> ship it back. I need to know if anyone else is interested and if so, how
> many/how much? I think that the ratio is something like this: 10
> pieces=$1000/ea. 50 pieces=$600/ea. 100 pieces=$350/ea? 150+pieces=<$300/ea.
> Maybe we can get the number lower, but I'm not sure. Remember, this is the
> ELEGANT solution. Fit and Finish worthy of the Total Control product line...
> Not a cardboard/plywood/tie wrap solution. If you think that I should pursue
> this, please let me know. PLEASE respond privately, I have already wasted
> enough public bandwidth with this message. Let me know what quantity you are
> interested in and what "magic" price we would have to achieve. I am also
> going to look at other manufacturing facilities. I am not doing this to make
> money, just to solve my own annoying problem. We will simply split the costs.
>
> -Robert
> robert@garden.net
>

> PS- Maybe if enough people are interested, we can call USR and find out
> about buying finished boards... no packaging, p/s, case, etc. Just a thought.
> robert@garden.net
> Garden Networks: northern New Jersey's premier Internet service provider
> 50 Diller Ave. Newton, NJ 07860 (201)300-9211
> http://www.garden.net http://www.windows.net

Daniel Duffy _\\|//_
Vice President/Founder/Computer Geek (-0-0-)
ValleyNet Communications - Central California's Premier Internet Provider
Voice: (209) 486-VNET (8638) 2300 Tulare, Suite 100
Fax: (209) 495-4940 Fresno, CA 93721-2226
Data: (209) 495-4950 http://www.valleynet.com