Re: Livingston SNMP bugs

root (root@sasami.anime.net)
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 08:46:17 -0700 (PDT)

> root wrote:
> > The first problem is that the 'ifSpeed' parameter is not reported
> > correctly. Regardless of the type of interface, it always returns 0. This
> > is not good.
> In any implementation of SNMP it is always legal to return 0 for a
> parameter which is unknown or unavailable. Therefore, you can't
> really call this a bug - though it sure would be very nice. The PMs
> don't have internal clocking, at least for my frame-relay port, and no
> clock speed detection circuitry, so the PM really has no idea what the
> clock speed is, so a 0 answer is reasonable.

Oh come ON now. I *TOLD* the portmaster what the speed of the port was, and
it sure as hell knows:

router> show all
Local Addr: xxx.xxx.xxx Default Host: xxx.xxx.xxx
Gateway: xxx.xxx.xxx Netmask: 255.255.255.0
DNS Server: xxx.xxx.xxx Domain: xxx.xxx

Port Speed Mdm Host Type Status Input Output Pend
W1 1536k on frmW1 Netwrk ESTABLISHED 730683331 4229343277 0
^^^^^
So I will re-iterate that returning a 0 for the interface speed is not
correct. The portmaster KNOWS the speed, because I told it what it was. And
from the above, you can see it does in fact know the speed.

And returning a speed of 0 for ethernet? Gimme a break. You can't tell me that
Livingston doesn't know the speed of ethernet...

-Dan