Re: Livingston SNMP bugs

Dave Cornejo (dave@dogwood.com)
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 07:11:24 -0700 (PDT)

root wrote:
> The first problem is that the 'ifSpeed' parameter is not reported
> correctly. Regardless of the type of interface, it always returns 0. This
> is not good.

In any implementation of SNMP it is always legal to return 0 for a
parameter which is unknown or unavailable. Therefore, you can't
really call this a bug - though it sure would be very nice. The PMs
don't have internal clocking, at least for my frame-relay port, and no
clock speed detection circuitry, so the PM really has no idea what the
clock speed is, so a 0 answer is reasonable.

> The second bug is not fatal, but causes our monitoring software to
> incorrectly label the interface as 'other' instead of frame relay:

I don't think that the vintage of MIB that they're using defined
frame-relay.

They really should update their SNMP, but it seems all their effort
goes into Radius and unfortunately for SNMP users, Radius does seem to
be more in demand from Livingston customers...

BTW, does anyone know where/if you can find documentation on
Livingstons enterprise MIB?

--
Dave Cornejo                                There is nothing so subtle
Dogwood Media                                           as the obvious